I’m pretty happy about how things are going recently. I got into grad school! Seriously, I pinch myself every time I think about it. Thus far I have only gotten an acceptance letter from my undergrad institution, but it was my first choice so I am going to put in the paperwork to accept soon.
I also am currently employed and therefore spending time outside of my apartment. I also have a small income in which I can pay my loans and bills with. I can’t say I love my job, but I am thankful to have it.
So here’s my little dilemma. I don’t know when to tell my boss that I am quitting to attend grad school. In reality compared to the problems I could have, this is a good one to have. When I interviewed for the position, I had received 3 no’s for grad school and had not received my acceptance letter from undergrad institution. I was working under the assumption that this position would be a long term one. I interviewed for an entry level (sales associate) job, but was offered a slightly higher paying job.
So do I tell my boss I am leaving in August to go to school now or just give my 2 weeks? Part of me wants to tell her now, because if I were in her position I would like some time to find someone else to replace me. Also, if I tell her now, I don’t have to filter what I say and make sure I don’t mention school. My boss seems to be great (I’m only 2 weeks into the job) and seems to be truly interested in providing my the best training and job development opportunities available.
Part of me wants to wait until I August and only give her my 2 weeks. It’s an hourly job, so technically I could quit that day, but I feel like that’s rude since I know ahead of time that I’m leaving. I sort of fear that if I tell her early that I will not be treated as well as I could if I tell her early. I mean, why invest time in training someone who is going to leave? Since I plan on being in school for a while, I won’t need my boss as a reference and she most likely will not be contacted to ask about my job so telling her last minute will not influence my career.
I talked to my dad about this recently. He doesn’t work in retail but he does work in business so he knows more than I do about this stuff. He recommends that I wait until August to tell my boss that I am quitting. He mentioned that at most hourly jobs both employers and employees can end the position “at will” (mine included). This means that I can quit my job for any reason, but more importantly my employer can fire me for almost any reason. So if they see that I am not worth the investment, they can fire me. He also said that since I plan on giving my employer the best service I can give until I quit that I should not feel guilty for not telling them.
So right now I think I am going to wait to tell my boss about grad school until August. I feel a little dishonest about it, but it’s best for me financially. Do you think that this is a good idea? I would love to hear what others have to say.